So now that we know where wisdom can be gained and that in the end the Bible is NOT about us but about God the next step is to understand how to actually read the Bible. There can be a lot said about this subject concerning hermeneutics and such but I would like to start on a very practical level! So here is a great place to start for all of us in terms of what you will need!
1. A consistent time and place-Much like any discipline you will need a consistent time and place where you will meet with God and study His word! Find the time of day where you are at your best and where there will be the least amount of distractions so you can allow time for actual study.
2. A Bible-This obviously goes without saying. You need to find a Bible that you can read, there are so many different versions of God’s word all saying the same thing but saying it in different ways. Some have a more literal translation then others but if it says Holy Bible on the front then you should be doing just fine. (I would suggest NIV or ESV for starting out). Make that Bible yours, personalize it, know it well!
3. Pen and highlighter-Along with personalizing your Bible is highlighting things and making notes! Don’t worry you wont be wrecking God’s word if you are making notes on things that jump out at you! If you read a chapter and a verse is sticking out at you, almost jumping out of the page at you, that is likely the Holy Spirit at work, God is trying to tell you something!
4. Reading plan-Make a plan for yourself. This will improve the chances of consistency and success! Start small perhaps a few verses a day and grow! It takes time for any discipline so give yourself time to grow in this practice! Shooting to read the Bible in a year is great, if your actually reading your Bible. Don’t read just to say you did it, read to gain understanding of God and what He has for your life!
5. A journal-This can be a great tool in taking notes and jotting down what you are learning! Write down your thoughts and what God is saying to you! This also allows for reflection over time as you can look back at where you came from and what you are learning!
Once you have these 5 things then start TODAY! Don’t push it till tomorrow! GET GOING! Start your reading with prayer, slow down your thoughts and relax, be silent in a world full of noise, and take some time to read and be with God. You WILL be blessed!